Cuero Becomes County Seat
In 1876 the voters of DeWitt County approved the transfer of the County Seat from Clinton to Cuero. The City of Cuero was organized in 1873 and OL Threlkeld was elected the first mayor of the city. In 1886 another terrible storm hit the Cuero area and those people who still lived in Indianola moved to Cuero finally with their families.
In 1894 the old frame courthouse burned down and in March 1895, the corner stone of the present courthouse was laid. This same year, Mr. Jim Howerton established the Cuero Daily Record and managed it until his death in 1935.