More Recent History
During World War II, Cuero Field was established at the Cuero Municipal Airport, two miles west of Cuero and was established as a U.S. Army Air Corps training field. All instructors and mechanics were civilian, though the Army supervised training. Thousands of pilots who graduated from Cuero Field went on to serve in World War II.
The Cuero Livestock Commission records show that Cuero was the largest shipper of cattle in the state in 1942 and 1943, with more than 800 carloads exported per year. The commission, established in 1940, sold $251,750 worth of stock that same year; sales jumped to $1.3 million in 1941, 3.5 million in 1942, and 4.7 million in 1943. Some people say DeWitt County is one of the largest producers of cattle in the State of Texas.
More history about the surrounding areas of Cuero, including Meyersville and Arneckeville, can be foundhere.