Cuero Chamber of Commerce/Cuero Heritage Museum
124 E. Church
This building, built in 1915 for $62,000, was home to the Cuero Post Office and other Federal offices. The Post Office was moved to a new building in 1962. The remaining Federal offices were gradually moved to other locations, leaving the fine old building vacant in 1987. The City of Cuero was able to acquire the building, without monetary consideration, if it were used for historic purposes. In support of this, the City proposed to use the building as a city museum with ongoing exhibits. It was also proposed that the Cuero Chamber of Commerce & Agriculture office be relocated to the building thus assuring that the building would be open regularly. The remaining rooms would be used as the museum and would be named the Cuero Heritage Museum. This building is listed in the National Historic Register.
DeWitt County Courthouse
307 N. Gonzales
This magnificent structure of brown and red sandstone was completed in 1896 as the last of several DeWitt County Courthouses. Two famed Golden Age architects, A.O. Watson and Eugene T. Heiner, were associated with its construction. Built in Romanesque style with a belfry, it is listed among the winners in the Texas Portfolio of Texas’ proudest architectural achievements by Texas Architect magazine. It is recorded as a Texas Historical Landmark as well as being listed on the National Registry of Historical Structures. It was built for $107,000; its interior was renovated in 1957 for $572,000, but the exterior remains unchanged.